Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
California Identity Theft Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Identity Theft for California on
Q: What type of lawsuit would I have if someone never returned $24,000?

A person I was with in Las Vegas put something in my drink and “borrowed” a large sum of money. He’s since admitted he owes it to me but is not paying.

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Nov 19, 2021

you probably need a civil litigator.

however, the amount is to small for most lawyers to take this on a contingency.

it sounds like an hourly case and would not be worthwhile for you to do this.

if you can't collect, sue for $10k in small claims and waive the...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Employment Discrimination, Environmental and Identity Theft for California on
Q: How do resolve current issues
Maya L. Serkova
Maya L. Serkova answered on Nov 13, 2021

Your post is missing the actual facts. Please resubmit your question with a description of your issues. This will help us better assist you.

6 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy, Identity Theft and Small Claims for California on
Q: Can a bank collect a debt on a credit card 13 years after the last payment was made?

I was contacted by a law firm representing US Bank. For a credit card that was open in 2005 and payments made on it until 2008. A balance of 5000 was never paid. I have no recollection of this. It has never been on my credit report. It could have been opened by my ex wife. We were going through a... Read more »

Yelena Gurevich
Yelena Gurevich answered on Nov 5, 2021

it is likely past the statute of limitations but an attorney would need to review what you are receiving and get more facts to further advise you.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft for California on
Q: My Identity was stolen and the person responsible got my info from my old employer. Can I hold them responsible?

I left my old job in 2016 and never got a chance to clean out my locker. I believe whom ever they gave my locker to got that info from old check stubs I forgot I left in there. The fraud starts in 2016 with my old address and phone number linked to my previous employer with many inquiries for... Read more »

Yelena Gurevich
Yelena Gurevich answered on Oct 12, 2021

not likely unless you have specific proof showing your old employer gave your information to the person that stole your identity (knowing that the person will steal your identity). it's a hard burden to prove.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Criminal Law and Identity Theft for California on
Q: I was scammed by accepting fraudulent check and asked to transfer money to a bank account

I have filed police complaint.The person cheated me by signing lease and showed fake ID proof check for deposit and little over of deposit amount and asked me to transfer remains amount to his bank account

I know only the bank account number and routing number and bank... Read more »

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Oct 4, 2021

much more info is needed.

if the amount is under $10,000, I would suggest going to small claims court where you can get a date within months rather than many years.

you probably can't afford to hire a lawyer for this and even if you could you might be throwing good money after...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Identity Theft for California on
Q: Can I be charged 4 months after my case reads not guilty on all charges?

On 11/30/2016 my file reads not guilty on 4 felony counts. But on 3/13/2017, 1 of the charges I'm forced to take a plea bargin is this legal?

Joseph Abrams
Joseph Abrams answered on Jul 12, 2021

You present very limited facts here to really know what is going on. But to the extent you were previously found not guilty on a criminal charge after a trial, you cannot again be prosecuted by the same court for the same charge; in other words, you cannot be subjected to "double... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Domestic Violence and Identity Theft for California on
Q: Can you check to see if i have a warrant in ventura county my boyfriend is attempting to get rid of me. For a reason.

I know something about him that he absolutely doesnt want told. So he has planned ling and hard to make me appear something i am not. He physically and mentally terrorizes me.

John Karas
John Karas answered on Jul 5, 2021

As Abraham Lincoln (who was an attorney before he became president) once said, "An attorney's stock in trade is his (or her) time". If you want an attorney to find out if there is an outstanding warrant for your arrest, hire a lawyer.

Otherwise, go on the Ventura County...
Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes, Identity Theft and Stockbroker Fraud for California on
Q: Who investigates false documents and fraud done to the deceased

Yeah because I have reason to believe that my father's name was changed my mother's name was changed and then they made everything look that way now people are benefiting from everything that's written on the story and then it appears that my father and my mother the identity was... Read more »

Joseph Abrams
Joseph Abrams answered on Jun 20, 2021

Most fraud offenses can be investigated by either local or federal authorities. If you have evidence of a criminal fraud or identity theft, you can begin by reporting that evidence to either your local police department of FBI field office.

- Law Office of Joseph Abrams, Anaheim, CA

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Identity Theft for California on
Q: Me and my girl are out bail . We are both being charged with handgun that was not in neither one of us possession.

The people that said I had gun have there stories mixed up. Now I think DA wants to get me with being ex felon charges. Can I qualify for probation . Or ankle monitor.

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Jun 16, 2021



Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft for California on
Q: In 2018 i was hit with a bankruptcy on my credit report that is not mine . How can I remove it
Yelena Gurevich
Yelena Gurevich answered on Apr 26, 2021

you need to send a dispute letter to each credit bureau, identifying yourself clearly, and disputing the entry on your credit. The credit bureaus will then need to investigate and remove the entry. If they do not, you may have a case against them and at that point you will want to contact a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft for California on
Q: The mother of my children is from a different country is here illegally and is using a dead famaly members identity.

How would I handle this at court.

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II answered on Mar 19, 2021

Interesting question, but lacking in details. First, what court? As Plaintiff or Defendant? Criminal or Civil? Can you steal the identity of a dead person? Probably so, but who gets to complain? Do you have to initiate a Probate? Or are you seeking to have the mother of your children criminally... Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Identity Theft for California on
Q: Father in law sold my fiances car without his consent

So my fiance had a 66 shelby mustang that he worked very hard to get, it was his dream car. unfortunately, he thought he could trust his own flesh and blood father to store the mustang in a garage at his condos complex because we were having issues with thugs around our apartment vandalizing our... Read more »

Louis George Fazzi
Louis George Fazzi answered on Mar 11, 2021

I have always found it difficult to offer legal advice to people who would not be the client. The potential client is your fiance. I have no idea what, if anything, you may tell your fiance, so trying to give second hand legal advice in these situations is always difficult. Nevertheless, suggest... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law, Civil Rights, Identity Theft and Public Benefits for California on
Q: Hi I’m being falsely accused of fraud by the department of human assistance in Sacramento ca I need my identity stole
Yelena Gurevich
Yelena Gurevich answered on Mar 10, 2021

you have no question pending. you are going to want to speak with an attorney to go over all your facts and circumstances to determine your rights and options.

1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft for California on
Q: how do i get my money back from debit card fraud
Yelena Gurevich
Yelena Gurevich answered on Mar 10, 2021

it depends. an attorney would need to review all the facts and circumstances before you could get a substantive answer to your question.

2 Answers | Asked in Estate Planning, Elder Law, Identity Theft and Probate for California on
Q: Family member passed away, discovered money was stolen courtesy of the bank. What can we do?

A family member recently passed away while settling affairs we found out a family member was stealing his money by forging checks. What legal recourse do we have based on financial exploitation? He was 64 and disabled and required assistance. The banks informed us of the questionable activity at... Read more »

Bill Sweeney
Bill Sweeney answered on Mar 3, 2021

Presumably, identify theft has occurred. If so, you might find the following web address helpful.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Identity Theft and White Collar Crime for California on
Q: Law authorities are constantly snooping on device and impersonation by intercepting txt/calls constantly. With intent...

to have my works and ideas with my identity. I have the information on individual to whom is sponsored by authorities. Fortunately I not needing criminal lawyer.

David Michael Lehr
David Michael Lehr answered on Feb 21, 2021

Law enforcement can only get a wire tap for 30 days at a time by court order. It often leads to an arrest. If you have not been arrested, or notified that you were tapped and that the investigation is finished, then you are probably not being tapped.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Copyright, Identity Theft and Intellectual Property for California on
Q: INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY Can we make arguments for laws around transmission of signals being focus by trajectory on human


If processing of signals constantly being held consistent of my attention and/or just comprehension of just auditory vibration of non audio frequency in turn creates a usable feature for in chip processing products and telecommunications. So communication by exchanging of similarities... Read more »

Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer answered on Feb 17, 2021

Exactly what are you trying to accomplish? Your question is not clear.

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Identity Theft for California on
Q: Can I take someone to court for ssi fraud?

I have had primary custody of my child since 2014, the child was living with me since 2013 and has specials needs. His mother has 0 contact besides an occasional phone call. 2016 she filed SSI and collected income for the child threw SSA. She collected several thousands of dollars none of it went... Read more »

David Michael Lehr
David Michael Lehr answered on Feb 10, 2021

Call social security

View More Answers

3 Answers | Asked in Banking, Bankruptcy and Identity Theft for California on
Q: Do I need a bankruptcy lawyer

Identity theft not caught until my credit card account was long depleted for my business

Ernest Charles Payne Jr
Ernest Charles Payne Jr answered on Feb 6, 2021

File a police report for the identity theft (PC 530.5, et. al.) and a fraud claim with the bank and/or credit card company. You should not need to file bankruptcy.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Identity Theft for California on
Q: Someone took out a title loan on my car without my knowledge. My car was repossessed and repo agent charging me 150

To retrieve my belongings and are keeping my car. I filed police report and sent to the lender. How do I get my car back since I had no knowledge of a title loan

Yelena Gurevich
Yelena Gurevich answered on Feb 3, 2021

Get a copy of the loan and see who signed it and who it was given to. Are you the only person on title to the vehicle? Check your credit to see if this loan is being reported on your credit reports (go to You may need to hire an attorney to sort all this out. Time is... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.