Center Point, TX asked in Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and Libel & Slander for Texas

Q: I have been brought up on judicial charges & removed from my executive position in my sorority at UTSA because of a

social media post supporting “all lives matter” & would like to discuss this to find if I have any options to fight this. I have been called a racist, bullied & harassed by members of the sorority. Thank you in advance.

1 Lawyer Answer
Roy Lee Warren
Roy Lee Warren
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • San Marcos, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Thanks for your question and I am sorry for the way you have been treated. You will need to find a lawyer that can help you with a civil rights claim as well as for a violation of your First Amendment rights (freedom of speech).

If your rights were violated by law enforcement it could be a 42 U. S. C. section 1983. Once you find a lawyer, you will need to discuss fact specific information that I would not ask you to announce on a social media forum. Or you may be able to obtain information from Legal Aid in Austin. Good luck to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.