Texas Libel & Slander Questions & Answers

Q: How many years is considered a statue of limitations in the case of defamation?

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Libel & Slander and Personal Injury for Texas on
Answered on Jun 21, 2018
Kim Jones Penepacker's answer
Texas has a one year statute of limitations for defamation under the Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code section 16.002. However, the one-year period depends on the date the cause of action "accrued," meaning the date the one-year clock started ticking. You should contact an attorney who practices in this area to evaluate when the clock on the statute of limitations started running and to evaluate if you are still within that time period.

Q: Can I do anything about my ex-fiancee spreading lies about me at my former workplace?

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Litigation and Libel & Slander for Texas on
Answered on Feb 26, 2018
Grant St Julian III's answer
You describe nothing criminal; your ex believes what she believes, and the police have bolstered her opinions and given her confirmation that you caused the problem. Your mutual friends and co-workers will decide who and what to believe, and if any of them do not want to hear your side of the story, they probably weren't your friend to begin with.

Q: When can I sue after being wrongfully accused of domestic violence

1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence and Libel & Slander for Texas on
Answered on Jan 14, 2017
Kiele Linroth Pace's answer
Lawsuits for "malicious prosecution" are not common, but they are possible under Texas law. To win, you must show:

1. a criminal case was started against you.

2. the other person caused the case, for example by knowingly providing false information to police.

3. you won.

4. you were innocent.

5. the person that caused the case lacked probable cause to initiate the criminal proceeding.

6. the person that caused the case acted with malice... this...

Q: What do I do about some one filing false charges of assault against me in the state of Texas

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Libel & Slander for Texas on
Answered on Sep 18, 2016
Jodi Soyars' answer
Retain an experienced criminal law attorney and have them defend you. Even false allegations should be taken seriously because if you are convicted it can have a devastating affect on your career and possibly even your freedom.

Q: 3 pit bulls moved in next door. Little boy says they can jump fence. If they attack us can we sue their landlord?

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law, Landlord - Tenant, Libel & Slander and Personal Injury for Texas on
Answered on Aug 26, 2016
Peter N. Munsing's answer
Find out from Animal Control if they will spell out under what cirucmstances you can use the gun if you get it and will they put it in writing..

Nothing saying you can't put up a bigger fence. Make it colorful, run vines up it.See if your town has an ordinance. Unfortunately, many don't, and it's not illegal to own a pit bull. So I don't see a suit against the Dog Warden because their hands are tied.

Q: I need a pro bono attorney that would work with me for accusation of embezzlement from my previous employer.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Employment Law and Libel & Slander for Texas on
Answered on Aug 25, 2016
Peter N. Munsing's answer
In case you are charged, first get the advice of a criminal defense atttorney. You may have to pay. Then find out your options by contacting a member of the Texas Trial Lawyers Assn who handles libel cases.

Q: A i was claimed for defamation of character because I said someone looked like something. Is that defamation?

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for Texas on
Answered on Sep 6, 2015
Robert Jason De Groot's answer
That is exactly what you said? "someone looked like something"? It depends upon the exact wording, I suppose, and you have not provided that. Get an attorney on your side.

Q: Can you sue for a parent slandering children and a youth organization

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for Texas on
Answered on Jun 29, 2015
John M DeProspo's answer
More information would be needed to answer your question. Bad comments and nasty things do not normally constitute actionable libel or slander.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.