Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Texas Libel & Slander Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and Libel & Slander for Texas on
Q: I have been brought up on judicial charges & removed from my executive position in my sorority at UTSA because of a

social media post supporting “all lives matter” & would like to discuss this to find if I have any options to fight this. I have been called a racist, bullied & harassed by members of the sorority. Thank you in advance.

Roy Lee Warren
Roy Lee Warren answered on Oct 20, 2020

Thanks for your question and I am sorry for the way you have been treated. You will need to find a lawyer that can help you with a civil rights claim as well as for a violation of your First Amendment rights (freedom of speech).

If your rights were violated by law enforcement it could be a...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Divorce, Libel & Slander and Small Claims for Texas on
Q: If a married couple are both on a car title is it legal for one of them to use that title for another loan without

Approval or without telling the other person

Kelly Case
Kelly Case answered on Jun 25, 2020

While it is not the best practice for a loan company to grant a loan with only one of the married couple's signature on the documents, there is nothing illegal about it. Unless a divorce was currently pending and the County in which it was filed had instituted Standing Orders preventing the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Internet Law, Libel & Slander, Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Texas on
Q: Is it legal to post on social media for someone to cause bodily harm to another person?

" Do the world a favor and die already..." Your mother is a drunk whore"..... " Pull their nails out, I'll pay good money...." Use for shark bait, then post a casket with the caption- "Coming Soon" constant degradation, and then I'm just going to say... Read more »

Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace answered on Feb 23, 2020

You should probably block and "unfriend" any person who posts that type of garbage. Depending on the exact details, it could be nothing or It could be the misdemeanor crime of Harassment if it happens once or it could be the felony crime of Stalking if it happens on multiple occasions.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for Texas on
Q: Can a secretary of a H.O. A record a meeting for record keeping .
Tammy Lyn Wincott
Tammy Lyn Wincott answered on Jan 17, 2020

Secretary are supposed to keep records of HOA meetings. In today's world those records are kept in different formats. Each subsequent meeting the former "minutes" most be approved by the Board of Directors.

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander, Elder Law and Health Care Law for Texas on
Q: What type of attorney do we need and do we have a case for defamation of character? Are they obligated to train us?

My dad is in the hospital and has a tentative discharge date for next week where he will he is supposed to be sent home and we will take care of him. The hospital told us they will give us adequate time to train us to take care of him at home, but when I ask them if they will train us they tell me... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Nov 10, 2019

A Texas attorney could advise you best, but your question remains open for two weeks. It sounds like the type of attorney you need is a health care attorney. If you want to pursue the false statement, that would be a defamation attorney. Before bringing attorneys into the mix, why don't you... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents, Consumer Law, Libel & Slander and Wrongful Death for Texas on
Q: Where and how could I find the copy of a thirty year old out of court settlement resulting from a wrongful death case?

Almost thirty years ago, my husband died in a car accident in which I was badly hurt too. A wrongful death case was brought against the party responsible and eventually settled out of court. Now, the brothers of my deceased husband have filed a criminal case in another country against myself,... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Aug 20, 2019

if it was an estate then the estate would have been set up in the county where it happened. That would have shown if there were heirs.

In most states, and I believe in Texas, the spouse gets everything unless there are children. Brothers get zero. That's if there is no will. Even if...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Libel & Slander for Texas on
Q: Do you sue your previous employer (the company) or the individual for providing false info to a prospective employer?

I recently applied at a company and coincidentally knew an individual that worked there, who gave me an initial recommendation. However an individual at my PREVIOUS employer knew the hiring manager there and stated false, incorrect statements about my character, which caused me to not even get an... Read more »

C.Doris Okafor Dike
C.Doris Okafor Dike answered on Aug 9, 2019

It Depends. Was the individual a HR director, CEO,COO, or anybody in the C-suite for the company? Or were they a regular worker for the company?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Libel & Slander for Texas on
Q: I need adviced in how to advance in a matter. I am been defemated around my family by a niece . She's a known drug user.

My 17 year old niece is slandering me around the whole family. She has fabricated a false story that I am involved in an affair with my brother inlaw. This is not true. I currently Iive on my mother's home & so does my niece. Due to the false statements of my niece, I have been called... Read more »

Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace answered on Jul 13, 2019

You can't change other people.

Life is too short to put up with that nonsense.

Find a different place to live.

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander and Personal Injury for Texas on
Q: I was attacked by a woman at work and side stepped and the woman hit her eyes against the door. She claims I punched her

And is putting it all over social media. I have screen shots of her fabricated story. But I wear a body cam and have footage that disproves all of it. Not sure what to do .

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jun 14, 2019

Contact a member of the Texas Trial Lawyers Association who handles workers compensation. That may help.

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander and Sexual Harassment for Texas on
Q: What happens in court if the opposition accuses you for the wrong charge? As in charge you for S.A. but meant harassmen

Someone is alleging that a colleague has commuted sexual assault. The act in question is a hug which doesn't qualify under Texas penal code. If they press charges of S.A. anyway (as they've threatened) what happens?

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Apr 8, 2019

Lawyers are not soothsayers, do not have crystal balls and cannot predict what might happen in someone's immediate future. Ask your lawyer to explain.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Libel & Slander and Personal Injury for Texas on
Q: How many years is considered a statue of limitations in the case of defamation?
Kim Jones Penepacker
Kim Jones Penepacker answered on Jun 21, 2018

Texas has a one year statute of limitations for defamation under the Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code section 16.002. However, the one-year period depends on the date the cause of action "accrued," meaning the date the one-year clock started ticking. You should contact an attorney... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Litigation and Libel & Slander for Texas on
Q: Can I do anything about my ex-fiancee spreading lies about me at my former workplace?

The two of us worked together in Georgia. I worked there for five years. She has been there three years now. In August 2017, I moved to Texas for a better job.

In November 2017, someone "allegedly" hacked a few of her accounts. Facebook, Twitter, her email and maybe some more. The... Read more »

Grant St Julian III
Grant St Julian III answered on Feb 26, 2018

You describe nothing criminal; your ex believes what she believes, and the police have bolstered her opinions and given her confirmation that you caused the problem. Your mutual friends and co-workers will decide who and what to believe, and if any of them do not want to hear your side of the... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence and Libel & Slander for Texas on
Q: When can I sue after being wrongfully accused of domestic violence

How do I go about suing for being wrongfully accused of domestic violence

Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace answered on Jan 14, 2017

Lawsuits for "malicious prosecution" are not common, but they are possible under Texas law. To win, you must show:

1. a criminal case was started against you.

2. the other person caused the case, for example by knowingly providing false information to police.

Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Libel & Slander for Texas on
Q: What do I do about some one filing false charges of assault against me in the state of Texas
Jodi Soyars
Jodi Soyars answered on Sep 18, 2016

Retain an experienced criminal law attorney and have them defend you. Even false allegations should be taken seriously because if you are convicted it can have a devastating affect on your career and possibly even your freedom.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law, Landlord - Tenant, Libel & Slander and Personal Injury for Texas on
Q: 3 pit bulls moved in next door. Little boy says they can jump fence. If they attack us can we sue their landlord?

We are afraid, are still dealing w medical & financial ramifications of attack from other neighbor's pit bulls in 2015. Animal Control told us 2 buy a gun. Pls tell me that TX law doesn't say we can't safely go outside bc other ppl's pit bulls have more rts 2 b in our yard... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Aug 26, 2016

Find out from Animal Control if they will spell out under what cirucmstances you can use the gun if you get it and will they put it in writing..

Nothing saying you can't put up a bigger fence. Make it colorful, run vines up it.See if your town has an ordinance. Unfortunately, many...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Employment Law and Libel & Slander for Texas on
Q: I need a pro bono attorney that would work with me for accusation of embezzlement from my previous employer.

Attorney can be paid from proceeds from the settlement.

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Aug 25, 2016

In case you are charged, first get the advice of a criminal defense atttorney. You may have to pay. Then find out your options by contacting a member of the Texas Trial Lawyers Assn who handles libel cases.

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for Texas on
Q: A i was claimed for defamation of character because I said someone looked like something. Is that defamation?

If I said someone looked like something wouldn't that be my freedom of speech by expression of opinion?

Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot answered on Sep 6, 2015

That is exactly what you said? "someone looked like something"? It depends upon the exact wording, I suppose, and you have not provided that. Get an attorney on your side.

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for Texas on
Q: Can you sue for a parent slandering children and a youth organization

Posting bad comments about the HOT youth football association and saying nasty things about kids who play

John M DeProspo
John M DeProspo answered on Jun 29, 2015

More information would be needed to answer your question. Bad comments and nasty things do not normally constitute actionable libel or slander.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.