Traverse City, MI asked in Medical Malpractice, Probate and Wrongful Death for Michigan

Q: Do I have to sign a family member consent for representation agreement my ex wife’s attorney sent me?

Our 30 year old daughter passed last year suddenly, no will, now my ex got a lawyer and is suing the hospital etc. for wrongful death, medical malpractice and other damages. I was sent forms to sign that I agree with her and fully cooperate with their legal services, which I don’t agree! My daughter had numerous health issues and unfortunately she passed because of them!

1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Interesting. Wrongful death and medical malpractice claims are complex enough that you would be well advised to discuss this letter with an attorney before signing it. Your ex can, quite likely, proceed without your signature or cooperation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.