Rochester, MI asked in Libel & Slander and Consumer Law for Michigan

Q: Is there recourse when I am asked to leave an establishment, when falsely accused of making a female server uncomfortab

I have lived in a small Detroit suburb for 20 years and recently a female server, at a bar I was dining, informed her manager and staff that I made her feel uncomfortable. I was asked to leave by another staff member. So I asked for the night manager whom reaffirmed the servers opinion and asked me to leave.. I contacted the day manager requesting resolution. After 3 contacts and being told that the manager would resolve this with the server, I was put on phone with the owner who, accused me of harassing his manager, and threatened to have the police contact me. I asked the owner for a meeting to discuss and resolve and was rejected. I want to resolve this issue and not have a false claim follow me around my small town. Is there a means to resolve this issue? I do not want this incident to risk to my reputation.. I know many business owners who can vouch for my reputation. Even the week before, this server waited on my wife and I at dinner.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: If you want to prevent this from becoming a bigger and more known issue, the best thing you could do is let it be and not go back to this establishment. It doesn't matter what other business owners say about you; what matters is that a server, her manager(s), and the owner of this establishment no longer want your business apparently. You can't control the gossip other people spread, but the surest way to give these sort of claims credibility is for the police or court to get involved. Let it be and find a different bar.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.