Atlanta, GA asked in Collections and Landlord - Tenant for Maryland

Q: How can a landlord send me to collections, for repairs to property after I have moved out, after living there over 8 yer

I rented from landlord for about 10 years in Maryland. After about 5 to 6 years never could get any repairs, or updated appliances that were failing such as refrigerator, gas stove. They were completely not safe or working properly from normal aging and wear and tear. Front steps were crumbling I made them aware and still no repair. They were not new when I moved in.

However, I stayed. And continue to pay full rent.

Once u moved out, voluntary , I see where he landlord shows up on my credit for $9,000 he claims I owe. How is this fair, now I cant rent anywhere with him on my credit report. I called to ask what was this for. Then I rode pass house and he has re done entire house. New steps, ramping, fencing, etc. Appears to me he is charging, me for that. I reached out to them, and they said they sent me to collections, and would not discuss anything with me. Keep in mind I never received a security deposit back of 1500 dollars either. I need help.

1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard A Englander
Leonard A Englander
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Annapolis, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: It would depend on what the damages he claimed were. If they were ordinary wear and tear, which it sounds like it might be given the length of the tenancy, then no, he cannot hold you accountable for it.

If it was for damages beyond ordinary wear and tear (ie. put your fist through the drywall, etc.), then yes, he could withhold it.

Regarding the security deposit, he had to send you an itemized letter explaining why he withheld it. If he didn't, you can attempt to make use of MD Real Property Art. 8-203.

Hope that helps!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.