Camden, SC asked in Criminal Law, Animal / Dog Law and Civil Litigation for South Carolina

Q: A person i was staying with has stolen 9 of my exotic birds. police wont help say it is civil. civil court is back loged

she is deliberating hidding them, i am afraid i will never see them again. please help

1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathan Edmond Bennett Lewis
Jonathan Edmond Bennett Lewis
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Columbia, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: How did the woman come to obtain the birds?

Without knowing this, specifically whether you entrusted her with the birds and she refused to return them, whether she broke in to somewhere and took them without your permission or knowledge, etc., it’s impossible to examine whether there is a criminal issue here.

As a civil matter, depending on the total price of the birds, you need to file a summons and complaint (a law suit) in the county in which you live and the birds were taken. Start at your local magistrates court, and the clerk of court there will help you by giving the right and forms, and helping you to file them. From there you will need to serve those papers on the person who took the birds. The clerk can help you do this legally to

ensure that the process is smooth and appropriate.

We hope that this helps you. While we understand the magistrate’s court back-log, this is the appropriate way to move forward with your issue. You can always also consult with an attorney and hire them to work this matter for you.

Best wishes.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.