Greensboro, NC asked in Family Law and Child Custody for North Carolina

Q: How can I get a case back to court about placement for a 17 year old who wants to live in my home?

She is a runaway, and she is 17 years old. We passed the home check, and the social worker approved her staying here but the judge did not.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Houser
Amanda Bowden Houser
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: You have not provided enough detail to answer your question to any meaningful degree. You need to consult with a local family law attorney who can review the situation in detail and lay out your options for you. However, as a general rule, if one Judge already said no, your odds of getting that changed are likely not good. Further, since she is 17, it is likely best to simply wait out the remaining time until she turns 18 and then she can do what she wants. Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.