Charlotte, NC asked in Elder Law for North Carolina

Q: My house was in reverse mortgage. My daughter & husband moved in with me. Daughter was to inherit the house.

Daughter wanted it out of reverse mortgage.

Asked me to sign a paper to do so. I did,after much

Badgering! Only to find out later it was a quit claim deed that I signed!

Her husband has now evicted me! Do l have any rights ?

They have all household goods also.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ben Corcoran
Ben Corcoran
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Yadkinville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: You probably have a good argument that the quitclaim deed was signed either under fraudulent circumstances or duress. Either way, you need to contact a local attorney as this is going to take a lawsuit to get fixed. Your lawyer will need to sit down and discuss all of the details to determine what your legal options are.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.