Brookhaven, MS asked in Consumer Law, Family Law, Legal Malpractice and Small Claims for Mississippi

Q: How can I legally access my deceased fathers lawsuit settlement?

My father passed a few months prior to a settlement being reached in a class lawsuit. I reached out on his behalf and was told to submit necessary documents(death certificate, affidavit, etc). I did so by certified mail to insure proper delivery. Yet they've still refused to relinquish his portion of the settlement and continue to only acknowledge that he has a claim. The lawsuit was in regards to black farmers not being given the entitlement to fundings neccesary to support their businesses/agriculture. What legal steps can I take bc this has been ongoing for several yrs now?

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A Mississippi attorney could advise best, but you await a response for four weeks. I'm sorry for the loss of your father. It looks like you already made diligent efforts. Ask the case administrators at the firm what further information is necessary. This might be something where more than family or consumer law, you could benefit from the insight of a probate - estate planning attorney (there are categories for those areas here) if the matter involves formalities with the estate. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.