Gaithersburg, MD asked in Landlord - Tenant for Maryland

Q: How long can a landlord drag out a dispute over replacement costs? Only sporadic responses from them.

Filed a dispute about property damage. Took them 1 month to reply. Now taking another month to reply to our evidence showing that we left the property intact (have a dated photo showing no damage was done and no move-out walkthrough was allowed due to COVID). How long does the landlord get to respond? What should I do to resolve the dispute if the landlord is bad at responding? everything has been done online or by email as directed by the landlord.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard A Englander
Leonard A Englander
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Annapolis, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: That would really depend on the situation. Have you moved out already and this is in regards to the security deposit or are you still living there?

If you have moved out, then generally the Landlord has 45 days from the date you vacate to either return the security deposit or send you a security deposit disposition letter.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.