Clearwater, FL asked in Insurance Bad Faith, Arbitration / Mediation Law and Landlord - Tenant for Florida

Q: Damage done to my Apartment in Clearwater Florida.

I live in an apartment complex in Clearwater Florida, the management company just had my A/C unit replaced. However the contractors who did the work did a lot of damage to my personal property however, and since no one was home to supervise them and the management company did not have anyone watching them, they didn’t even bother to close my front door when they left. I spoke to the management company, and they acknowledge the incident, but have ask me to fill a claim under my insurance with them compensating me back my deductible. When I call me insurance agent they told while I was covered. This is not normal, and that it’s the contractor or managements responsibility to cover the damages. I’m not a lawyer but this whole thing does not make a whole lot of sense to me, so I’m looking for someone in the area, that could advocate for me and help me recover for my damaged property. I have all correspondence and documentation, I also filled a report with the Police.

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Insurance Claims Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A Florida attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for three weeks. Based on your description, this looks like a difficult and messy situation. If you are able to find resolution through insurance, that might be your most economical route. Even if you retained an attorney to pursue the matter on the merits, it looks like the type of situation that could get out of hand quickly in terms of billable hours trying to track down various parties, taking formal statements, trying to apportion liability between everyone involved, and making other factual determinations. You could arrange a brief consult with a local attorney to ask their recommendations - that could at least outline your options. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.