Dothan, AL asked in Real Estate Law, Appeals / Appellate Law, Collections and Small Claims for Alabama

Q: How can I have a judgment against me when I’ve never been contacted about any debt?

I am trying to sell my home and my title came back that there is a judgment against me that was filed a year ago. I have never been contacted about this and I have always paid my bills in full, on time. How can they do this without notifying me and how do I fight back? How do I find out who is saying I owe them money?

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Appeals & Appellate Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: An Alabama attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. As a general matter, depending on state codes of civil procedure for service of process, one possibility is that the creditor could have told the court that they satisfied requirements for proper service and was able to obtain a default judgment in your absence. But that is only a guess as a general matter for any jurisdiction. If you reached out to an Alabama attorney, they could likely provide more meaningful input with additional details. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.