Sicklerville, NJ asked in Family Law, Divorce and Child Custody for New Jersey

Q: I found out recently that my husband has been abusing crystal meth. We have a 6 and 4 year old. He refuses to quit.

He frequently yells at me in front of kids, to point they do not listen to me. He has been using behind my back. We are supposed to be moving to va and buying a house. He says he won't stop until move is done, and turns it around on me for being upset. He has taken my car years ago, and all i do is stay home with kids. Isolated from everyone. He says if i try to leave him, he will take my kids. I don't have money to leave. Im afraid of what will happen if i do. Is there some legal aid/help to get out of situation with my kids without being homeless? I have no $ for divorce, he has cut me from all finances.

1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Millburn, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: There are specific state resources readily available to you and to your children that I would ask you to consider / reach out to for assistance, starting with the following:

*Domestic Violence Services through state of New Jersey -

*Legal Services of New Jersey Domestic Violence Representation Project:

(888) LSNJ-LAW (888) 576-5529

Central Jersey Legal Services (908) 354-4340


*New Jersey Address Confidentiality Program (ACP) Hotline 1 (877) 218-9133

There are other non-profit organizations that can also assist you, and I would start with:

JBWS is a private, nonprofit agency that provides safety, support and solutions for abuse for anyone who lives or works in primarily Morris County, NJ and faces the issues of intimate partner abuse.

24-Hour Helpline & Referral: 1.877.R.U.ABUSED or 1.877.782.2873

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.