Bronx, NY asked in Traffic Tickets for New York

Q: Can a cop bring up a traffic violation that he did not write you a ticket for in court?

So I was on the highway and was pulled over for speeding and failure to use turn signals and for my tints. The cop did not give me a ticket for speeding and gave me a ticket for failure to use turn signals and tints. If i plead not guilty and go to court can he bring up the fact that I was speeding too in court or is it inadmissible

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Toshinori Isoai
Toshinori Isoai
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • New City, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Signal violation (VTL 1163) is an independent violation. Unless you have also been charged with reckless driving (VTL 1212) or following too closely/tailgating (VTL 1129), etc, the fact of speeding itself will not be relevant to your signal violation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.