Chester, VA asked in Health Care Law and Social Security for Virginia

Q: What should I do

I went into a nursing home right after hip surgery for less than a month. Well no one at social security office changed my address and now they are deducting a yrs worth out of my check because they claim I was in a nursing home a yr. I was in only for 24 days. So I told them well one agent said that the one state didnt do something on there and. So I go into that office and I told them. Well they say everything here looks ok and there's nothing there to do. Well time goes bye I get a letter of overpayment from being in nursing home a yr. Well I call nc they tell me va hasn't done there and. So what do I do. Also during me falsely staying in nursing home my lawyer made a deal with my disability to settle a payment with disability from my settlement from 2009 till now. Did my false staying in a nursing home for a yr have outcome to what I paid them. Could i get just a little more money.

1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth Prigmore
Kenneth Prigmore
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Spanish Fork, UT

A: Keep talking to SSA. Attorneys frequently work out deals for payment, and later SSA changes things on them. In this case, it sounds like if you get paid for the missing year, your attorney might actually get more money. I would at least discuss the situation with your attorney to find out what they are thinking. If SSA skipped paying you for a year, you should eventually be able to prove it and get the funds.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.