Lakeland, FL asked in Estate Planning, Family Law, Real Estate Law and Elder Law for Ohio

Q: My Dad is 89 years old and for the last 3 or 4 years he has been giving my brothers and mine Inheritances away to his

My Dad is 89 years old and for the last 3 or 4 years he has been giving my brothers and mine Inheritances away to his girlfriends kids, how can we stop this? My Dad telling me that we will not get anything or only get what he owe on. What can be done? My Dad lives in Ohio.

1 Lawyer Answer
Aaron Epling
Aaron Epling
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Hilliard, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: If he is incompetent, then you can apply to be his guardian and take control over his finances. You could also notify his bank that you believe he's incompetent or under undue influence. If he's competent and not under undue influence, then your options are very limited.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.