Louisville, KY asked in Business Law, Civil Litigation and Consumer Law for Kentucky

Q: On July 7th 2020 I went to a local car dealership and traded in my vehicle which I was told to get $1,500 for trade.

I traded in my vehicle which was told to get $1,500 towards purchasing my new car plus I made a down payment of $700 I signed a few papers I gave them the keys to my car I was trading in bring my credit card. The salesman even took a picture of me in front of the car with the keys. Yesterday my friend use my vehicle for some reason I'm not sure why but my tags end up getting ran and the car came back stolen he is now detained and then charged with receiving stolen property $10,000. This friend has terminal brain cancer he's been fighting for the past 7 years. and it's scheduled to have brain surgery in 3 days and he is now in the custody of Louisville metro department of corrections being charged with stolen car that I never reported stolen.. so I call dispatch to try to figure out what's going on and while my car was reported stolen and I was told that the car lot themselves reported the car stolen.. they've never tried to repossess it. Nor do they ever try to contact me in regards

1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: You need to hire a lawyer to file suit against everyone for your car and deposit.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.