Pottsville, PA asked in Car Accidents and Traffic Tickets for Pennsylvania

Q: PA driver broke his mirror on my parked car No cars around. I got tag # Police said nothing happened here. Chargeable?

Driver hit my mirror with his. Shattered his but only folded mine back and kept driving. I happen to be sitting in the vehicle and there was no other vehicles around so I drove to follow him and he tried to elude me while I had 911 on the phone. I got his tag number and the state police showed up. One officer went to find him at the location I gave them where he pulled over and the other officers stayed with me. There was no visible damage to my vehicle but because this guy hit me and kept going shouldn’t he be Charged with hit-and-run or at least careless driving?

1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Kraeer
Timothy Kraeer
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Pottsville, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Based on what you've described, he could probably be charged at least with a traffic offense for something like careless driving as you suggested, but if he didn't cause any damage, the police may not be too motivated to pursue charges. I would consider making sure there was in fact no damage caused to your vehicle. If so, you should provide an invoice to the police and they may reconsider filing charges.

I hope that helps.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.