Livonia, MI asked in Personal Injury and Products Liability for Michigan

Q: Can I sue drug manufacturer?

I developed a severe gambling addiction while taking Mirapex long-term. It stopped after I quit taking the drug. This has placed me on the brink of bankruptcy. Is this a valid basis for suing the manufacturer? Do the existence of prior class action lawsuits to which I was not a party prevent me from suing?

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Products Liability Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A Michigan attorney could answer best, but your question remains open for a week. As a GENERAL matter, It seems like it would be a difficult case to establish. It could depend on what the warning label for Mirapex includes, but the drug is generally used to treat symptoms of Parkinson's disease. Correlating usage to an addition, and then correlating the financial loss the drug would appear to be a difficult burden overcome to convince jurors, to the exclusion of other possibilities. Reach out to Michigan attorneys to ask their opinions of such a case - that's probably one of the best ways to answer your question. I couldn't answer the second part of your question about class action litigation. If the pending lawsuits involve multidistrict litigation in different jurisdictions, attorneys who are directly involved in the litigation could be in a better position to answer that question. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.