Charlotte, NC asked in Family Law, Adoption and Child Custody for North Carolina

Q: I’m 17 years old I live in a group home and I am in DSS coustody can they move me outta state without my consent

Also can they move me when I’m about to be 18 in less than 8 months

1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Johnson
Amanda Bowden Johnson pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: The short answer is, likely yes. Until you turn 18 - you are a child and if DSS has custody of you, they can do with you pretty much as they please until you do turn 18. Your best bet is to do the best you can to make whatever they do as tolerable for yourself as you can make it. When you turn 18 you can start your life on your own terms and begin to put that behind you. Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.