Clinton, NC asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Traffic Tickets for North Carolina

Q: i got a traffic violation , I took the class driving class last year , and im also on probation . any steps to take ?

I need to know what i do next to prevent myself from going to jail and also making my insurance go up to $500 .

1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Johnson
Amanda Bowden Johnson pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: The short answer is to hire a local traffic attorney in the area where you got the ticket. There may be something you can do yourself such as requesting a PJC or attending a Safe Driving Class for a reduction but these options can have unforeseen consequences based on your prior driving record and what you are charged with because we don't know those other factors - we can't tell you what your next step is. Also, each district attorney and each Judge sets their own policies and standards on what they will to do. So what may work in one county or for one Judge may not necessarily work in another. You should look at it this way, if the transmission in you car breaks down and you aren't a mechanic, you'd likely never even think of cracking into it and trying to repair it yourself - let alone actually attempt it. The same is true for legal work. If you aren't an attorney, the bottomline is you just aren't competent to handle your own legal matters - you'd likely have a better shot at correctly repairing the transmission. Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.