Fort Worth, TX asked in Real Estate Law, Agricultural Law, Land Use & Zoning and Landlord - Tenant for Colorado

Q: What should I do to stop them & keep them from continuing to use my land/barn? What do I do about the solar panels?

I live out of state, it appears my neighbor has installed solar panels on my property & are using & making improvements to my barn.

2 Lawyer Answers
Donald C Eby
Donald C Eby
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: It is nice of your neighbor to make valuable improvements to your property! But, I suspect that your neighbor does not see it that way. I suspect that you'll need to bring a lawsuit to enforce your rights. But, you could start by calling the police to make a trespassing claim or have an attorney send a Demand letter.

I recommend contacting an attorney to discuss the facts in more detail then he or she will be able to help you understand your rights, remedies, risks, paths forward, etc.

Anthony M. Avery agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN

A: That sounds like a serious Boundary Line Dispute... Check your Deed, the adjoining owner's Deed, tax map and any survey plats. Look at all of this in conjunction with actually viewing the property. If it appears to be on your land, you must hire an attorney to file suit or you will acquiesce to the new property line over time.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.