Atlanta, GA asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Florida

Q: Good Day, Is their a way i can take a dna blood test for a child I'm on child support for, that i have never saw?

2004 was told by ex girlfriend i wasnt the father of the child. Come September 2014 I got served papers while living in another state. I Filled out the paperwork saying i want blood test for the child. I dont think that I'm the father. Come January 2015, money start coming out of my check,and currently still is . With no kind of certification saying this is my child. Now come Nov 2020 police come to my job and serve me papers saying she wants more money. I'm filing these papers out now as we speak. I've never seen the child, or talked to her since 2004. Someone else was on the birth certificate. I never got to take a Dna test i asked for. Money just started coming out my check at $125 a week. I was told to seek a lawyers advice before I send these papers in. Any advice could help, if he's mine, I would at least like to see what he looks like. There are things i noticed with her. That she was already pregnant when we just started dating. Whennshe said he wasnt mine, I believed her

1 Lawyer Answer
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You need to look at the pleadings that were filed in 2014-15 to see what the determination was regarding paternity. Depending on what they say you may have a problem because you have waited so long to challenge the finding (at least in court). It is very difficult to recover child support that has already been paid. You can definitely ask the court to allow you to start seeing the child. In Florida we call this timesharing. I recommend that you get a local lawyer to help you with this.

Good luck.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.