Winter Garden, FL asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Florida

Q: my childs mother has threatened to take my daughter and move to another state. my daughter is 3

and has been living with me since our breakup in April 2019. she see's her mom randomly some times once a month sometimes she will go 7 weeks without seeing her and its normally for a few days at a time when she does see her.

her mom has been living in motels hotels renting rooms and now has a 1 bedroom apartment where she lives with her newborn that is not mine. she has now fell on hard times again and is moving to Alabama to live with her new Childs family and is threatening to take my daughter with her the next time she goes to Alabama. she does not know where i live and i am basically keeping my daughter home from daycare out of fear that she will take her. what should i do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If you have not already, you need to go to court on a paternity action. There you can establish your timesharing (custody) in a court order. Until the father of a child born out of wedlock goes to court the mother has full authority over the child.

Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.