Ann Arbor, MI asked in Foreclosure and Real Estate Law for Michigan

Q: I inherited a home as joint tenants w right of survivorship w my sister. she refuses to pay for anything. What can I do?

The loan is almost paid off and I want to continue living there as I have for my entire life. It’s our family home. It’s an owner occupied rental property w 4 units. Because of a fire and Covid-19 I have fallen behind on the loan payment and she wants it to go to foreclosure in a month rather than help me pay even though she has been taking half the tax deductions for nearly a decade from maintenance and repairs I paid for. She has offered to sign off with a quit claim deed but will she still be liable for the back taxes, utilities, repairs, etc? I can’t move forward with her. She refuses to communicate and has held up the sale of the other house we own together that I do want to sell to save this property.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
  • Fowlerville, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: A quit claim deed from her is likely the best option but before you decide what to do you’d be well advised to consult with a local licensed attorney to insure that you don’t End up with larger issues.

If she quit claims it she will have no obligations to answer your specific question but from your description that is pretty much how things have gone so far.

Get that local legal advice. ....

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.