Seattle, WA asked in Immigration Law for Washington

Q: I am a US citizen and I met a Brazilian citizen who came to the country with a visa (B1/B2). I fell for him

And I want to marry him .Is it possible ? any implications . How long should we wait before marry him and apply for permanent residency .


Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen Arnold Black
Stephen Arnold Black
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Orlando, FL

A: Yes if you are a US citizen, and you marry somebody that entered the United States with permission, which it appears to be the case, then you can sponsor him for his green card and he can adjust status here and does not have to return home to obtain that. Now there’s a 90 day rule, which basically says that an immigrant who enters the United States and gets married within the 90th day of arrival, will be deemed to have committed immigration fraud. So if you are going to get married And sponsor him to adjust status, make sure that both of those events take place more than 90 days after his arrival.

Ms Grace I Gardiner agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.