Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Michigan

Q: Landlord where I was renting the basement changed the locks & refused to give me my things. said confiscated for nopay

She has everything including my receipt book for rent payments, lease, all my clothes, TV, Microwave, jewelry, bedding, and misc other things. She wanted rent in cash so I bought a receipt book for receipts. She didn't want to due to trying to keep the income secret. He Son was threatening to me and she had to speak with him multiple times. No notice mailed to me or my permanent address. Due to Covid I was sheltered in place out of town and advised her of that with my 81 year old Mother.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: You need to contact an attorney in your area quickly. If you cannot afford one, this is a situation your local legal aid office may provide assistance for. This doesn't sound right, and smacks of an illegal eviction.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.