Indianapolis, IN asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Florida

Q: My grandson is moving to Florida with his dad from Indiana. His dad has 5 other kids in the house.

He wants to stop paying child support even tho Hunter’s never stayed with him longer than 2 weeks. I don’t think he’ll stay down there too long. If the judge orders payments to stop, how difficult will it be to get child support now that his dad moved from Kentucky to Florida?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If an Indiana court has ordered the father to pay child support, it would be up to that court to modify the support order, if that court finds that child support should be modified. In the mean time, the person to whom the support is payable can contact the Florida Department of Revenue to assist in collecting the child support. But to answer your question, if the Indiana court "orders payments to stop", the obligee (person to whom support was to be paid) won't be entitled to get ongoing child support.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.