Davis, CA asked in Domestic Violence for California

Q: I am a victim of domestic violence but was never told I had to go to court, but my partner did. Do I still have to go?

I didn't mean to call the police. When I talked to the police they never handed me anything besides a paper about " youve experienced domestic violence" that has no information or told me I had to go to court and never handed me a pink slip, idk if that was important. I still talk to my partner and he wants me to support him in court, inever received any court information even though I am the victim. What do I do? can I still go to court and testify or support him even when I never receive any information. They kind of just cut me off from the case completely. My partner went to jail and his bond was paid, now he has to go to court alone and I don't know why I'm not included.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
William Joseph Duffy
William Joseph Duffy
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Irvine, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You may not need to go to court unless there is a jury trial. However, finding your own representation can be essential whatever your position in regards to your partners case. In short, you may want to advocate for or against conviction of your partner. This can be accomplished with greater success using a Victim Right’s Attorney or a criminal defense attorney. If you suffered any injury as a result. A victim rights attorney can also help you obtain compensation to fully restore you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.