Moscow, ID asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Child Support and Domestic Violence for Idaho

Q: I am not married but have two small children with a man im separating from that is abusive. Can my attorney show this?

The mental and emotional abuse I’ve had to endure while taking care of my kids in this relationship has been a lot. The kids see it and my 5 year old is suffering from it. He uses it to control everything, as he makes the money and I take care of the kids. We are going to be going to court soon and I am afraid for the kids. He has been aggressive with my son and has left marks. Can I ask my attorney to look into the abuse laws of Idaho so my kids can be with me? I don’t have support here and may ask to leave the state to be with family. Can this hold up in asking a judge to move away or limit time with their dad? I have character witnesses and other proof as needed.

1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Boise, ID
  • Licensed in Idaho

A: If you hire competent legal counsel, your attorney can ask the Court to grant you Temporary Legal and physical custody of your children. You should always hire counsel to do this type of legal work for you. Never try to do this by yourself. What you describe may be chargeable as a crime or at worst, fodder to help you achieve sole, legal and physical custody. After a Petition for Custody has been filed, the Court will give the parties a few weeks to TRY and work things out themselves. If that fails, the Court will ask the parties to go to Mediation and try and work things out with help. If that fails, the Court will set Pre-Trial and Jury Trial dates with mandatory disclosures of finances, child support and debts having to be disclosed and child support set. A competent counsel may also get the Court to order temporary child support for you. You should also file a police report if he is ever threatening or violent to you or your children. This is a crime.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.