Green Cove Springs, FL asked in Criminal Law, Family Law and Juvenile Law for Florida

Q: My mom doesnt want me living with her .. is there anyway i can sue my mom or press charges on her even though im 17?

My mom was really abusive to me and my sister. We are adopted and we are about a year and a half apart and me and her can share memories on when mom would kick and punch and slap us and hit our heads against a wall and she almost drowned my sister one time. When i was 16 i started running away constantly for a few months and one day she made me strip down and touched to look under my chest and made me do a 360 and i was sexually abused when i was younger so it really messed with my head. i have also been diagnosed with PTSD from a young age. Im 17 now and she uses her words or finds very mental ways to bully me and my sister. DCF has been called multiple times by me and other adults. Is there any way i can press charges or do something about this? i cant live like this anymore and my mom expressed to my siblings and dad at the dinner table that she thinks it would be better if i was dead or died and she said this while i was in my room and a sibling told me. Im worried.

1 Lawyer Answer
Henry George Ferro
Henry George Ferro
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Ocala, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Claims against your mother can be lodged in either civil or criminal court. For the criminal proceedings, you may contact local law enforcement or Department of Children and Families.

A civil claim is somewhat more complicated and expensive, you may contact a local lawyer. I will, however, warn you that there are costs associated with either step, both financially and emotionally.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.