Greensburg, PA asked in Criminal Law and DUI / DWI for Ohio

Q: Is there a way to expunge or seal the Felony DUI in Ohio? If not Is there a way to reduce the felony to Misdemeanor.

I've come to the conclusion I cannot expunge a DUI in the state of Ohio. Therefore, I was asking if I could reduce the Felony that came along with it. Maybe try to get it reduced to misdemeanor? Keep the DUI but get rid of having to put I was convicted with a felony. This is felony is from years ago.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Patrick DiChiro
Patrick DiChiro
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Independence, OH

A: If you are referring to reducing a felony OVI, yes there is a possibility of doing that WHILE the case is pending. The same is true for other felonies. However, after you have already been convicted, you cannot obtain a reduction because you have alread plead and been sentenced. Your case is over. The only way to re-open it is: 1) appeal if it is withing 30 days of your conviction. And then you have to win your appeal. or, 2) file a Motion to Withdraw Plea. Both are very difficult processes.

Dimitrios Makridis agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.