Catonsville, MD asked in Estate Planning and Banking for Maryland

Q: Rules on checks written to minors. How do you do this correctly?

Can I write a check to my 2 year old grandson in his name. Of course, his father would have to endorse it. Would he have to set up a new account for the child?I recall getting a check as a child and it read pay to the order of my name (minor).

Please let me know. Thank-you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cedulie Renee Laumann
Cedulie Renee Laumann
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crownsville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Maryland law allows for minors to hold funds in special accounts under the Uniform Gift to Minors Act. Such accounts have the minor's name PLUS an adult "custodian" who acts on behalf of the minor until they reach majority. The funds belong to the minor but the adult can make deposits and withdrawals on the child's behalf. You can always verify with the financial institution so that there aren't any problems with endorsing. Minor accounts are typically titled something like "(Parent) as Custodian for (Minor) under UGTMA."

While not legal advice I hope that this helps.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.