Woodbridge, VA asked in Consumer Law, Estate Planning and Real Estate Law for Virginia

Q: I have a check from my fathers IRA. He had passed away back in October. The company Meryl Lynch issued the check out to

So the check with the bank name that is now closed under my father and my name. it does state "F/B/O fathers name IRA and acct#****. but the bank won't even accept the check and create an estate account. This is the second check that was issued from them and they cant get it right.

1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Sternberg
Richard Sternberg
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Potomac, MD
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: I don't know whether there is enough money involved to make it worthwhile, but I think a simple one-hour consult would straighten things out. It sounds to me like the brokerage hasn't explained that the funds are not part of the probate estate, so they don't belong in an estate account. You would be well-served to have a lawyer in at least the role of a consultant to make this move along more smoothly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.