Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Civil Litigation for Florida

Q: What's a pleading? Is there a template?

I am the party (individual) initiating the action against another individual who operates a business. I have already submitted a statement of claim which was accepted and the process has moved forward. Now I need to submit a pleading and I'm pretty lost.

2 Lawyer Answers

A: There are a mountain of various types of pleadings and a lawyer would need to know what you are trying to achieve or if you have been ordered by the court to submit a pleading, then the wording of the pleading. This site is not meant to teach someone how to proceed pro se with litigation. It is for general advice only.

If you filed a statement of claim and your damages are $500 you must be in small claims court. You should read the Florida Rules of Small Claims. They are available on:

The judges in a small claims case generally direct the parties on the procedures. You can also find many of the forms you need on the website for the clerk of court in the county where you filed the case or in the rule book. If you find you are not understanding how to proceed check with the bar association of the county where you filed the case to see if they have a pro se clinic or offer pro bono services.

Charles M. Baron agrees with this answer

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: A statement of claim such as the one you filed is a pleading. Typically under the small claims rules, that is all you would need to file. What makes you think you need to file an additional pleading?

Charles M. Baron agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.