San Antonio, TX asked in Probate for Texas

Q: If I am on a deed and have 50% interest in property and the other person passes, what happens?

My grandmother who recently passed had added me to her land deed a few years back so I have 50% interest in property.

She had a mortgage and lein on the property before she added me to the deed. The person in charge of her will will not give info, but my dad was supposed to be named to recieve the other 50%. He has the signing of that will on video. We were told that the will was sent to probate. I have been paying for her mortgage and lein for the past 5+ years. My family and I have lived on the property for 15 years. I just need advice on what I need to do to save the home that we have made here.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terry Lynn Garrett
Terry Lynn Garrett
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Check with the Bexar County probate court clerk to see the Will. If it went to your father, it will pass under his Will or, if he has none, according to the Texas laws of inheritance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.