Baldwin Park, CA asked in Divorce for California

Q: Looking for help on filling out the Community Property.

My ex and I have an understanding of who’s responsible for what. He is letting me have the house because I can afford it. I want to know how to write this correctly so this is added to the divorce paperwork and so I don’t have any issues in the future. We also each have a car and he has credit card debt (I do not). We also have had separate bank accounts since we’ve been together. Do I list these? I’m not sure if I list them out and then say “respondent” or “petitioner”.

Thank you so much!

Wanted to add just in case it makes a difference - We bought the house a few months before getting married. We refinanced it when we were married. The house was put in just my name a few months before we separated.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tobie Brina Waxman
Tobie Brina Waxman
  • Culver City, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: This forum is not intended for this type of inquiry. We cannot give legal advice or instructions on how to act as your own attorney. I suggest you call a lawyer directly for a consultation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.