Dallas, TX asked in Criminal Law for Oklahoma

Q: I found out I have a felony warrant.can court charge me obscorn if I've not left jurisdiction.

Am trying to hire attorney before I turn my self in.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brian Boeheim
Brian Boeheim
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: Yes, definitely hire an attorney. There are multiple types of warrants. Regarding felonies, there usually two types of warrants that are used but he court. The first is an arrest warrant. This is used when a judge is shown probable cause to believe there was a crime committed and you were the one who committed it. This is done by sworn affidavit. An arrest warrant is exactly what it sounds like. The come looking for you and arrest you. The second type of warrant is a bench warrant. This is normally for things like failure to appear in court, or for an application to revoke probation. Normally, the police will not come looking for you, but instead you will only be picked up if you come across police in the process of living your life. With a bench warrant, unlike an arrest warrant, you can payt he bond at the court house and never have to go to jail. With all that said, you will not be charged with anything extra if you are living your life and they just haven't picked you up yet.

Charles Watts and David A. Cincotta agree with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.