Columbus, OH asked in Family Law and Civil Litigation for North Carolina

Q: My 39 year old son finally moved out but he left all of his stuff behind. Can I legally discard all of his belongings?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Amanda Bowden Johnson
Amanda Bowden Johnson pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Yes, but there are some steps you will likely need to follow. You are likely in a bailment situation where you will be required to take reasonable care of his property for some period of time and to provide him with formal notice to make arrangements to pick it up. If so, typically 30 days is sufficient time. So make sure his stuff is in a safe place, send him written notice to come pick it up within 30 days if he doesn't you can sell it and / or throw it away. If you want, you can move all his stuff into a storage unit and make it a condition of picking up his property that he reimburse you for the cost of moving and storage. Sometimes you can work out a deal with the storage facility to pay for 30 days at the end on which if he hasn't reimbursed you and picked up his stuff, they will take the steps to notify your son to pick up his property and will auction off the contents of the storage unit if he doesn't. Best of luck.

Angela L. Haas
Angela L. Haas
  • Raleigh, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Give him 10 days to remove it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.