Dallas, TX asked in Contracts, Estate Planning, Real Estate Law and Probate for Oklahoma

Q: sister defrauds my share of late moms house sales (1/3 of40k) sells house without my knowledge

I live in Oklahoma county, oklahoma. I was reading about your personal representative deed. my estranged sister sold my late mothers house without my knowledge or acceptance. I looked up the deed online and it lists a personal representative deed. how is this possible that she was able to sell my mothers, who had no will

also, money from the sale was court ordered to be divided among me and my sisters equally-1/3 each. i was incarcerated at the time and only paid $400 of 13k owed to me. my sister, the "Personal Representative" squandered my inheritance from house-i didn't want to sell anyway! was going to try to buy my sisters out so i can keep that house, but i didn't get that option. please help! I Will be able to pay you, and even more so when i recoup my losses from my sister who committed this fraudulent crime, she makes over 100k a year. Is there any way I can dispute this? sale was completed around late 2017,early 2018.

1 Lawyer Answer
Charles Watts
Charles Watts
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: Well first, the house is sold and there is nothing to do about that assuming it was sold to someone not related. As far as your portion of the sale/estate, this would have all been completed during the probate procedure. If your sister did not fulfill her legal obligation then you 'may or may not' have an avenue for compensation, however you will need to sit down with an attorney and go through things in detail to determine your best course of action. Also with statute of limitations, some of which could have elapsed and others which could be approaching, then you need to contact one fairly soon.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.