Owings Mills, MD asked in Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for Maryland

Q: to take possesion of my parents land as the sole heir i am out of state can i do an out of state bond? the land is in

alabama and i live in md she did not have a will.

1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: You need an Alabama estate lawyer. The requirements for a non-resident executor of an estate usually involves appointment of a person in Alabama to act as resident agent for the executor for service of legal papers. Because the estate involves real estate, and you cannot easily travel to Alabama to make the required court filings in the estate, it makes sense to hire an Alabama estate lawyer to do all that for you and act as your resident agent. Locate a lawyer in the county where your mother resided when she passed away. The property can be sold and the proceeds deposited into an estate account pending payment of any administrative costs and creditor bills before distribution to you as sole heir.

Cedulie Renee Laumann agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.