Philadelphia, PA asked in Landlord - Tenant, Contracts and Personal Injury for Pennsylvania

Q: I just rented an apartment 5 days ago. I was locked onside because door would not open. 6 hours later they got it open

I’m scared to death to stay there thinking had there been a fire, my 5 year old son and I might be dead or seriously burned! They drilled through the son was screaming...

I don’t want to stay here. How can I get out of my lease and move to a safer space? What recourses to I have if I sue for stress...we both are scared to stay there for fear of being locked in again. We have not stayed there since this incident.

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Wyomissing, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Look at your lease, but the fact there was one incident is usually not sufficient to say the premises are uninhabitable. If you spoke to the locksmith and they said that there was no way they could fix it that's a little different, but locks are not the type of thing that a Court will break a lease for.

If you are eligible for Public Assistance, you meet the income guidelines to call the Legal Aid /Legal Services office in your county. Ask for the Tenant Rights unit. They can give you a good second opinion as Legal Aid attorneys handle more tenant cases than any other law office.

Likewise, I do not see any suit for stress. Other attorneys may disagree, and you should consult other attorneys in your county who handle personal injury cases. The statute of limitations for that would be two years.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.