Baytown, TX asked in Probate and Estate Planning for Texas

Q: My mother passed without a will and my father is requesting independent administration of her estate. Do I need a lawyer

My father has been incredibly untrustworthy and not acted in anyone else's interest since my mom's passing in May 2020. He was in a new relationship via a dating app in less than 2 months and married in less than 9. He wants my siblings and I to sign a waiver to agree that he can do what he wants with everything and that it's all his. We disagree. Do I need a lawyer? He has a pretty profound one.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Isaac Shutt
Isaac Shutt
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Richardson, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Definitely would be a good idea to have one, so that you have a professional in your corner to protect your inheritance rights. It shouldn't cost much, because your lawyer would really just be a watchdog unless your father really tries to take advantage. Also, your father can't get an independent administration without signed consents from ALL heirs.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.