Towson, MD asked in Copyright, Business Law, Civil Rights and Intellectual Property for Maryland

Q: Can I receive settlements from businesses?

I am a freelance model , I post most of my work on my social media accounts and run that as my business page as well . For years small brands and large cooperations use and manipulate my images into business logos , promotional marketing and evening jewelry and interior design products . Can I receive compensation for this ?

2 Lawyer Answers
Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Clifton, NJ

A: You need to retain local counsel to set up the right corporate entities for you, then have an intellectual property attorney set up the appropriate protections for you. THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE! YOU NEED TO SPEAK TO AN ATTORNEY WHO IS LICENSED IN YOUR STATE FOR LEGAL ADVICE. This is merely suggestions for you to think about in discussing your situation with the local attorney.

Kathryn Perales
Kathryn Perales
  • Intellectual Property Lawyer
  • Oberlin, OH

A: You have copyright rights in photos and images that you have created, but not necessarily in images of you that others have created. Depending upon what exactly you created, and what the other people have done with those images, you may be entitled to damages for copyright infringement. The new Copyright Claims Board may be an appropriate venue for you to use, or you may have to sue in federal court. You should seek out a copyright litigation attorney for specific advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.