Paragould, AR asked in Criminal Law, Appeals / Appellate Law and Small Claims for Arkansas

Q: Is there a way I can address ta bench warrant/writ of bodily attachment without going to jail?

I apparently have a bench warrant and writ of bodily attachment from 2011, at that time in my life I was very heavily an IV drug abuser, homeless, jobless... Now I have a full time job, an apartment, custody of my child and I’m a single mother, father of my child can’t be found so I need to know if I can some how address this warrant without going to jail and losing everything I’ve worked so hard to obtain over the last 10 years.

1 Lawyer Answer
James E Hensley Jr
James E Hensley Jr
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Conway, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: It sounds like you have done well for yourself. Thanks for reaching out. The answer is yes but with a caveat that many Judges make you show up to have the warrant served on you. We need to know the charges and where the case is located. For instance, if you have misdemeanor charges in Conway, there is a good chance your lawyer can have you show up at court and finalize everything. It is unlikely you would have to go to jail even for one night.

Felony charges in Pulaski County would require that you show up the night before court. The next day you would see a Judge where bond would be set and you should be able to leave that same day having spent only one night in jail.

In fact, it is possible that the charges might be dismissed since it has been so long and witnesses may not be available.

In any event, you will need an attorney for this. Costs will be around $2500 to $6000. A bit more for a jury trial which is unlikely. Get an attorney who will give you his cell phone and you can call on the weekends. You will need a lawyer to show you how to navigate the court system.

Good luck and God Bless.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.