Cincinnati, OH asked in Civil Litigation and Employment Law for Ohio

Q: Can a business not pay you for hours you worked for their company?

I worked for a home health care company for about a month and they didn’t pay me at all. I had an old traffic violation warrant and went to jail a couple days, but was able to return to work. They claim that since I didn’t turn in my “hard copy” of my hours worked(this is just where I write in my hours worked and client signs to verify) on time (jail) that they didn’t have to pay me even though I was told to bring all 4 weeks of my time sheets in and they would take care of it. When I called for my pay I was told they wasn’t paying me because of the above reason. Is there anything I can do to get paid for my work?

1 Lawyer Answer
Nicholas P. Weiss
Nicholas P. Weiss
  • Cleveland Heights, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: They are in breach of Ohio wage and hour law. Contact an employment lawyer or file a complaint with the Ohio Department of commerce.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.