San Angelo, TX asked in Criminal Law, Domestic Violence and Federal Crimes for Texas

Q: Hello, I was wondering if anyone is willing to take a case regarding a murder defense.

Im looking for a lawyer that is willing to pro bono and help me beat my oldest sisters self defense charge regarding her being charged with murder. Is anyone available?

1 Lawyer Answer
Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: If defended properly, a case like the one you described could end up consuming most of the attorney's attention for months if not years. If the attorney is not charging for that time then she will need to make up the difference in some other way, most likely by taking extra cases and working too much. Then your sister ends up with an attorney who is stressed out and overworked, which is obviously less than ideal considering that the result of this case will have profound consequences for how your sister spends the rest of her life.

If your sister can't afford an attorney then she should ask the court to appoint an attorney. The appointed attorney will be paid by the county. Also, most courts have a minimum level of experience required to accept a high-level felony appointment... so they might not appoint a great lawyer, but at least it will be someone who is seasoned. The only reliable way to get a great defense in a case like this is to hire an attorney, but expect to pay at least somewhere in the high 5 figures, perhaps low 6 figures depending on the complexity and the need for testifying experts.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.