Asked in Child Custody and Public Benefits for Massachusetts

Q: I was given custody of non biological child by the father,whom had full custody.what do I do next,if there's anything?

I have been already help raise this child for 10 yrs his father recently received full custody of him due to other biological parent did not respond to letters or show up at court,they awarded him full custody. Now he has gone to jail and gave me full custody rights to his son. The paperwork is notorized and signed by him and I,are there any further steps I need to take as of now? If any at all considering the biological parent that never showed to court was considered as abandoning the child as well.

1 Lawyer Answer
Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Woburn, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: You question is a bit shy on the procedural background. So there should be a Guardianship of Minor Petition and Petition for appointment as Temporary Guardian. Has that occurred? Otherwise has the DCF commenced a care and protection case in the district court? It sounds like adoption proceedings may be down the road possibly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.